Monday 2 November 2009

JENNIFER'S BODY

CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS AND DEROGATORY REFERENCES TO MEGAN FOX

I wasn't particularly expecting anything of this. Seeing as how it was on the festival schedule for the ludicrous hour of twenty past four in the morning and the film was already on some kind of release, I was planning on taking the opportunity for a bit of a kip. But it kept me awake and, in the words of Arthur Dent, "Actually I quite liked it."

Jennifer's Body is a comedic teen horror film from the director of Aeon Flux (no, really, there was one) and showcasing the supposedly lava-hot Megan Fox (well, it takes all sorts) in a script by Diablo Cody, probably Hollywood's only ex-stripper with an Oscar for screenwriting. Fox is the titular high-school cheerleader, heartless cow and lust object whose encounter with a struggling indie band turns her into a blood-crazed demonic succubus picking off the hopelessly horny idiot boys in the school, and only her much-abused and put-upon best friend can stop her....

So I was quite surprised to find that I rather enjoyed it and didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I was going to. I've really very little time for Megan Fox, to whose much trumpeted charms I remain mysteriously immune, and found Amanda Seyfried as her hapless friend to be much more interesting. Nice ending as well. Not a movie for the hardcore horror crowd, rather the Friday night multiplex audience, and it does fine.

***

No comments: